Roof Leak Prevention
We have all been told from time to time to “be thankful you have a roof over your head.” When you become a homeowner, you realize how the roof plays a vital role in safeguarding your home from rain, wind, storms, and extreme temperatures. Because of this, you should be paying close attention to your roof and making sure it is in great shape.
Roof leaks happen, it is just what comes with being a homeowner. They are frustrating because of the damage it can cause to your home. It is also very common for roof leaks to go unnoticed for quite some time. Unfortunately, they are noticed when there is already a significant amount of damage done to your home.
As a homeowner, you need to be alerted to avoid these situations. Follow these tips for prevention measures:
- Have regular roof inspections – Have a trained professional inspect your roof. This is essential in spotting early signs of roof damage.
- Pay attention to roof flashings – Without good, secure flashings around chimneys, vents, wall/roof junctions, skylights, water can enter a home and cause damage to your walls, ceilings, insultation and even electrical systems.
- Maintain gutters and downspouts – Gutters and downspouts that are full of leaves and debris will cause water to back up under your roof shingles causing potential leaks and water damage.
- Do not block ventilation – Proper attic ventilation will help prevent structural damage caused by moisture and increase roofing material life.
- Keep trees and bushes away – Leaves and falling limbs can cause moisture problems from algae and rot, damage to roof tiles and clogged gutters.