Fire Threats Around the Holidays
Statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration show how easy it is for home decorating to turn into a home disaster.
SERVPRO fire restoration specialists say to use common sense and caution to help control risk of holiday season home fires!
In a year when large holiday gatherings may not be possible, fire damage restoration specialists at SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City say to focus on family decorating traditions and more intimate celebrations may take on extra significance. It is as important to keep safety top of mind with a small family gathering as it is with a large holiday party. We all enjoy bringing the glow of the holiday season to our homes with Christmas trees or menorahs and candlelight, but these statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration show how easy it is for home decorating to turn into a home disaster.
- The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and New Year’s Eve.
- More than half of the home decoration fires in December are started by candles.
- A heat source too close to the Christmas tree causes one in every four winter fires.
- On average, one of every 52 reported home Christmas tree fires resulted in death.
SERVPRO is an industry leader and provider of fire damage restoration services. For more fire prevention and fire safety tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, call us at 989-752-8644.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Cold weather, snow, and ice storms can cause severe damage to your home or business.
With frigid temperatures and winter storms coming, now is the time to learn more about how to avoid frozen pipes and water damage that can occur if those pipes expand and burst. Frozen pipes are actually very preventable, SERVPRO offers the following tips for preventing frozen pipes and mitigating potential damage that they can cause.
To prevent frozen pipes and avoid any potential damage:
- Insulate all exposed pipes in your property. Pay close attention to where pipes may be unheated, such as the basement, attic, garage, crawl space, and under cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Maintain a consistent temperature throughout your house day and night.
- Close any valves located inside that supply water outdoors and open outside valves to properly drain any excess water remaining in the pipes.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors.
- In especially freezing temperatures, let your faucet trickle; running water is less likely to freeze.
- If you will be leaving your home unoccupied for an extended period, leave the heat on and set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
Thawing Out a Frozen Pipe:
- If you turn on a faucet and only a few drips come out, you may have a frozen pipe. Typically, frozen pipes are found along exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Leave the faucet on while treating any frozen pipes, as flowing water will help melt the ice.
- Apply heat to the frozen section of the pipe by using an electric heating pad, an electric hair dryer, or wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, or other open flame devices.
- Check all other faucets in your home to see if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze too.
Cold weather, snow, and ice storms can cause severe damage to your home or business. When these types of disasters strike, immediate action is necessary to prevent additional damage to your property. SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City has the winter storm experience, expertise, and the resources to remediate damage caused by winter weather.
Consult, Clean, and Certify
The Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program is centered around the three C's- Consult, Clean, and Certify.
The Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program is centered around the three C's- Consult, Clean, and Certify.
We will meet with the property owner to evaluate current cleaning processes and propose additional services that SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City can offer to minimize the potential transmission of COVID-19. We will also discuss how frequently these services should occur. Higher frequency service is recommended for businesses with high traffic and an inability to implement health screening of people entering the business.
Standard services focus on cleaning and disinfectant applications to limit the emergence of viral pathogens. This may include disinfectant application to frequently contacted touch points such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, keyboards, and desks to minimize the potential transmission of COVID-19.
Enhanced services build upon standard services by adding cleaning and disinfectant applications to less frequently contacted touch points. This would be implemented in the case of having a person that tests positive for COVID-19 or a person that may be exhibiting symptoms of the virus.
A Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned window cling with the last date serviced or a table tent would be placed at the site letting the people that enter your building know that your building has been cleaned by the professionals at SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City.
SERVPRO Insider – October 2022
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here!
Our newest quarterly newsletter is here! The SERVPRO Insider gives an inside look at what SERVPRO Team Miller has been up to!
In this issue, we’re helping you prepare for the holidays! Follow our fire safety tips to safely deep fry your Thanksgiving turkey and learn about the potential fire hazards that can come with holiday decorations.
Get an inside look at our storm damage restoration projects in Fort Wayne, Indiana, learn about a few of our dedicated team members who services residential and commercial large loss projects, and help us celebrate our amazing employee Bob who has been working for SERVPRO Team Miller for the past 25 years!
Each newsletter comes with a special feature on the services that SERVPRO offers. The service of this quarter: Fire Damage Restoration. Fire and smoke damage is especially destructive to properties and belongings. The SERVPRO team specializes in restoring versus replacing smoke and soot damaged contents and can perform restoration services to get fire-damaged buildings back to pre-fire condition.
If you’d like to subscribe to receive our full quarterly newsletters, send us a request at email@example.com.
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprits of poor indoor air quality in commercial buildings.
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprits of poor indoor air quality in commercial buildings. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your business.
Why is cleaning air ducts really that important?
During normal operation, dust can accumulate in ductwork that can lead to microbial growth. Duct cleaning has been shown to reduce this growth, as well as increase the efficiency of your system. In fact, in some cases of extreme buildup, it can increase efficiency as much as 40 percent!
The professionals at SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City routinely inspect the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can, in turn, save your company money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind for the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, call us today at 989-752-8644.
Sewage Back Up Tips
Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous.
Water damage in your home is devastating, especially cleaning up areas of your home after flooding and sewer damage. Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment are necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
If you ever face a sewage backup in your bathroom, there are a few things that are helpful to know to speed proper cleanup and ensure a safe and sanitary home for your family.
- Call for Help - If you suspect you have damaged sewer lines, call your sewage company to schedule an inspection. To protect your home from future mold or rot issues after a toilet overflow, call flood damage remediation experts. Only with the help of professional water removal specialists can you rest assured that floodwater has not crept into places you cannot see to wreak havoc.
- Dry the Area - Though you may be tempted to sanitize your bathroom immediately after a toilet overflows, you should not do so before you start drying out the affected area. Whether you are dealing with a flooded toilet or an entire flooded basement, the first thing you should do is utilize heavy duty vacuums, drainage systems and fans to remove all the water.
- Sanitize - After drying the area, sanitize it as best you can. Floodwater resulting from sewer damage can be toxic, so be thorough in your cleaning processes. Once the area is dry from the first round of sanitizer, you should plan to disinfect it one more time.
- Dehumidify - The presence of excess water in a bathroom often welcomes lingering humidity, which only encourages mold growth in spaces affected by sewer water. During the process of drying, sanitizing, and restoring, you should be sure that a dehumidifier is always running.
Storms and inclement weather can be devastating to any business.
Storms and inclement weather can be devastating to any business. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. There is never a convenient time for flooding or storm damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So, when an emergency situation arises in your business, SERVPRO will be there fast with the help you need.
Time is Money
As a leader in water damage restoration, we know fast mitigation is the key to limiting business interruption. With an unmatched national footprint of over 1,800 franchises, SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Team can provide trained crews faster to any size disaster and can be on-site within a few hours to help reduce the future damage that water can cause. We have the right equipment, procedures, and training to help ensure the structure is dry the first time, saving you time and money.
Specific Tasks to Include:
- Containment of damaged areas to reduce in-flow of water.
- Shrink-wrapping of structures to control inflow of mixture.
- Water Extraction – to remove excess water from a structure.
- Moisture Mapping – to determine impacted areas of a structure.
- Selective Demolition – to remove wet building materials that cannot be economically dried in place.
- Containment – to assure potential contaminants do not spread.
- Evaporation Enhancement – to remove moisture content from building materials.
- Dehumidification – to remove excess water vapor from the structures’ environments.
- Temperature Control – to assist in dehumidification and to prevent the onset of mold growth.
- Post-Drying Cleaning – to remove any potential contaminants from dried building materials.
Tips for Staying Healthy as COVID-19 and Flu Season Converge
SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City urges everyone to be extra vigilant about following cleaning and disinfecting protocols this year.
The COVID-19 pandemic has challenged business owners and homeowners alike to find ways to live and work without exposing themselves or others to this highly contagious virus. Now, the approaching flu season is set to complicate that challenge even further. To help control the threat that the one-two punch of COVID-19 and the seasonal flu presents, SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City urges everyone to be extra vigilant about following cleaning and disinfecting protocols this year.
Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) believe both COVID-19 and the seasonal flu spread primarily by droplets made when infected people cough, sneeze, or talk. While not as frequent, it is also believed adults and children can contract COVID-19 or the flu by touching a surface or an object that has virus particles on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes. The CDC continues to recommend a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses, but experts also emphasize the importance of cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily to help mitigate the potential spread from contaminated surfaces. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
To limit exposure and control the spread of these double threats, SERVPRO recommends you wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60 percent alcohol, keep your hands away from your face, and wear a mask to protect others. For effective daily, routine cleaning at home or at work, we recommend first removing surface grime and dirt with soap and water, then following up with a disinfectant. It is easier to feel comfortable about limiting exposure at home where you can control how clean your surroundings are. It is more difficult out in public; but this year especially, it is important to be aware of the space you are in. You need to learn to recognize spaces where cleaning is – or is not – a priority so you can adjust your behavior accordingly.
For those home and business owners who have specialized cleaning requirements or who simply want the peace of mind that a professional cleaning service can offer in this stressful time, SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City can help. While we remain a leader in disaster cleanup and remediation situations, we also provide that same ‘deeper level of clean’ for everyday residential and commercial cleaning. In addition, SERVPRO offers their "Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned" program, developed for businesses in response to the pandemic. The high level of confidence that a professionally cleaned space provides offers welcome reassurance to patrons as the flu season intersects with COVID-19.
SERVPRO specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup, and repair services, helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and residential customers. For more information on SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City please call 989-752-8644. For more information on the "Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned" program, please click here.
Always Prioritize Safety as You Grill
The risk of a grill fire is there every time you light yours up.
For us, enjoying summer is all about getting outside with family and firing up the grill, but safety is key to making sure this stays a fun activity. Grilling dangers are something many people do not discuss, but as with any open flame, the risk of a grill fire is there every time you light yours up. Fortunately, a bit of prevention goes a long way.
It is reported by the U.S. Fire Administration that grill fires occur at least 5,700 times every year, making them more prevalent than many realize. But grilling can be a fun and safe activity if you follow the proper fire safety protocols when you do it.
Keep Grilling Fun, Safe and Fire-Free
- Create a safe zone around your grill. It is convenient to place your grill in a spot close to your home but giving yourself plenty of surrounding space is important in case of flare-ups. Three feet is the recommended distance to have around your grill, free from wood, siding or any other flammable materials.
- Clean your grill grates often. By keeping your grill grates clean, you can keep the temperature inside your grill steadier and reduce the chances of a sudden fire starting. Built-on food particles can get extremely hot when the grill is in use, even suddenly igniting in some cases. A quick scrape after each grill session can go a long way in reducing this danger.
- Never leave the grill unattended. There is no safe way to ever leave a grill unattended, even if the lid is closed. Fires only take a second to start, so your best bet to circumvent damage is by always being nearby with a fire extinguisher just in case. Even for a quick break, it is best to have someone take over your grill station to keep a vigilant eye out.
- Inspect the grill regularly. The components of a grill are not made to last forever, and even if you are using yours regularly, you never know when something could finally give out. Before you ever light your grill, do a visual inspection to make sure everything looks like it is in good shape and there are no areas that could lead to a gas leak on your connectors.
Vacuum Freeze Drying
We know timely mitigation is the key to reducing severity and recovering damaged items.
As a leader in the restoration industry, we know timely mitigation is the key to reducing severity and recovering damaged items. Water-damaged paper can rapidly deteriorate. Without proper handling, valuable files, and irreplaceable documents could be lost forever. Let our team help you recover your damaged paper goods before it is too late.
About Vacuum Freeze Drying
Vacuum freeze drying is a process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using various vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation.
- Sublimation is the direct conversion of a solid (ice) into gas (water vapor), without passage through a liquid stage.
- An example of sublimation is dry ice. Dry ice is made of carbon dioxide, not water. When dry ice is exposed to normal atmospheric conditions, it begins to sublimate, turning from its solid stage into its gaseous stage, bypassing the liquid stage.