Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A house fire is devastating. Aside from the trauma of seeing all your memories ruined, you also have to deal with the cleanup and restoration process. And your insurance company.
While all insurance policies cover fire damage, they may not cover the smoke damage the also occurs throughout your home.
Smoke and soot can travel to the farthest end of your home, hiding in closed drawers, closets and draperies. Some insurance companies will agree to restore your property from smoke damage, but others may not.
That’s why we’re here. SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City offers free fire and smoke inspections for your home or commercial property, and we’ll provide your agent or adjuster a copy of the loss report.
Fire, smoke and water damage? Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Saginaw / Bay City.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (989) 752-8644
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.