How to Put Out an Electrical Fire
Electricity is an essential part of life. From lights to heating systems to TV’s, it provides the energy for most powered objects in a house. Electricity is important to have in every home, but it can also be extremely dangerous. According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical failures or malfunctions are the second leading cause of home fire in the United States. Electrical failures and malfunctions also account for the highest share of civilian deaths and direct property damage.
If an electrical fire were to break out in your home, here are actions that you should do immediately:
- Cut off the Electricity – If the device that is causing the fire is found and you can safely reach the cord, unplug it.
- Add Sodium Bicarbonate – If the fire is small, you may put it out by pouring baking soda on it.
- Don’t Use Water – Using water to put out an electrical fire can put you at risk of being shocked or electrocuted because water is a natural conductor of electricity. Water also may cause the fire to spread by conducting electricity throughout the room and potentially igniting flammable materials.
- Remove the Oxygen Source – An electrical fire may also be put out by removing the oxygen source with a heavy blanket or clothing if the fire is small.
- Check Your Fire Extinguisher – Electrical fires are considered a Class C Fire, which means that you will need to have an extinguisher that is appropriate for this type of fire. Residential fire extinguishers are often multi-purpose and labeled as ABC, but it is very important to make sure that it is before using it on an electrical fire.